"JDK 7 Update" Project

Kelly O'Hair kelly.ohair at oracle.com
Thu Jun 16 18:50:07 UTC 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:07 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:

> Hi Kelly,
>
> On Thu, June 16, 2011 17:25, Kelly O'Hair wrote:
>> The OpenJDK Build Group has agreed to sponsor the "JDK 7 Update" Project
>
> Although I certainly appreciate the speed and efficiently of the
> Build Group voting process, maybe we should first finish the discussion
> on the list on whether or not the updates can just be part of the
> regular jdk7 project tree so as to not create another set of separate
> trees that people will have to track. My impression is that most people
> would like to see that happen instead of treating the updates as yet
> another project.

In my opinion, regardless of how the repositories might be set up for it,
the JDK 7 Update project still needs to exist.
There was a desire to get this project going, and I was just trying to help it along.

---

It was also my opinion that we could just use the existing jdk7/jdk7 repos for
updates, but I was convinced otherwise.
Having a frozen set of jdk7/jdk7 repos out there has some benefits, and yes, we will
have tags to mark the state, and any update repos will be clones, with all the tags.
Any naive user that does not understand tags, and does a simple clone jdk7/jdk7,
will get exactly that, the original jdk7 release, not some arbitrary update.

I'll gladly listen to the debate, maybe I'll change my mind again. ;^)

-kto