Update on bug system for OpenJDK (web-discuss)

David Holmes David.Holmes at oracle.com
Mon May 30 09:48:54 UTC 2011

Steve,

Steve Poole said the following on 05/30/11 19:10:
> On 27/05/11 18:47, Georges Saab wrote:
>> The 'noise' problem is real and currently Oracle funds a number of
>> people who contribute time
>> and effort to the thankless task of weeding through the noise.   But
>> there has to be a better way
>> of handling it than the current one.
> I assume that you end up pointing a lot of these requests to some
> external documentation?   I'm thinking that if OpenJDK's landing page
> included pointers to FAQs , user discussion mailing lists etc that would
> help reduce the amount of noise.

Such pointers already exist and are ignored by many bug reporters.

>> I wonder if part of the issue is the current lack of distinction
>> between bug reports from end users,
>> developers in general, and developers with 'skin in the game on OpenJDK'?
>>
>> Perhaps the first step is to have separate places to report issues if
>> you are an end user
>> versus a Java developer (and making it clear which is which), and then
>> if there are still
>> an overwhelming number of 'I am a CS student learning Java and could
>> you please do
>> my homework' coming into the developer bug database, look at how to
>> raise the bar?
> I'd rather have a system where anyone can raise issues without regard to
> any role.  If there is too much "noise"  then steps can be taken  to
> help redirect people to the right place.   End users  asking questions -
> however naive  or incoherent - are still part of the community.   Having
> said that I think we need to be pro-active - see my comment above.

We already know that the noise exists and is extreme. Naive questions
don't belong in bug reports they belong on mailing lists (not current
openJDK ones) or in forums. As a developer who does a lot of bug triage
I do not want a system that will suddenly inundate me with bogus reports
(the bar is often too low as it is!).

So I'm all for role-based access control on the bug system.

Regards,
David Holmes