Update on bug system for OpenJDK (web-discuss)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue May 31 09:05:56 UTC 2011

David Holmes wrote:

> I agree - but that needs to be handled by the "first tier" system (as
> is mostly done today). I don't want to be the one who has to wade
> through these issues and identify them - by the time a bug gets into
> bugster today it "should" have reasonable merit and shouldn't be a
> duplicate.
It's not clear to me that we need this filtering, at least not
initially. I can't imagine end-users seeking out the OpenJDK bug
database, unless they have a message dialog or error log that tells them
to go there. So if consumers could be directed somewhere else then
there's a good chance that most of the bugs will come from developers
that want to help by reporting a bug or maybe contributing a fix. Sure,
we'll still get some poor quality bug reports but that is par for the
course. I would suggest it would be better to see how it goes before
deciding to setup a quarantine area. Another thing is that one would
hope that an open bug database will encourage more volunteers to help,
and so there should be more eyes on these bug reports (and so one would
hope that the poor reports will be closed quickly).

> :
>
> I was with you right up to the last sentence. Having to register would
> dissuade some users from bothering to report non-bugs (but it may also
> dissuade them from submitting real bugs!). There needs to be a system
> where a report can easily be entered by anyone, but that report needs
> to be pre-processed before being accepted as a bug (in todays terms it
> gets submitted as an "incident", processed and if deemed suitable then
> a bug is created in bugster).
I don't know how many projects allow bug reports to be submitted
anonymously. At least with bugs.openjdk.java.net you have to login, and
same thing for other bugzillas that I've submitted bugs to. With the
legacy bugs.sun.com then you also have to fill out a form with your
details. One useful thing about requiring a submitter to login is that
there is contact address, useful if follow-up is required to duplicate
or verify a bug.

-Alan.