Project Proposal: JFX

Brian Beck brian.beck at oracle.com
Fri Oct 28 08:22:01 UTC 2011

Hi Patrick:

I'm on the JavaFX UI Controls team.  Since the UI Controls will be the
first part of the platform opened up, we are the guinea pigs for this
project.  Let me add to what Rich said by giving you our day one plan.

Once the project is approved the new repo will be initialized with the
UI code from the head of our internal repo.  At that point the UI code
will be removed from our internal repo and we will shift to working in
the open repo.  As Rich said, nobody wants to have to deal with
different branches if we don't have to.

Initially we will have UI Controls in the open and the rest of the
platform internal.  We will build the Oracle JavaFX bits from the
combination of the open + internal and make those bits available on a
weekly basis.  The open repo will be buildable without any of the
internal source (obviously) but it will need the weekly binary bits we
are producing.  This is unavoidable at first.  As the process continues
we will take more  pieces out of the internal repo and add them to the
open repo.  Ultimately the open repo will stand on its own with no need
for Oracle's binaries.  How long this process takes is a little unclear
at the moment.  Having been part of the opening of the JDK, I imagine
we'll make progress quickly at first but there may be a few pieces that
require more effort or that have to be replaced entirely.  We'll just
have to see how it goes.  But again, as Rich pointed out, we have every
reason to make this go quickly.  Nobody wants to deal with code in two
places.

Hope this helps.

Brian.