Ubuntu 11.10 VM including OpenJDK Build Image

John Yeary johnyeary at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 01:30:30 UTC 2012

Hello Dalibor,

The purpose of having a common Virtual Box image is to provide an
"out-of-the-box" image for everyone one to use for an OpenJDK hack-a-thon.
This way we have a small image which we can share with the team that is
absolutely consistent across the development environment. This guarantees
that we are all drinking from the same well. If anyone experiences an
issue, we should all have the same issue, and solution.

We want the image small enough to fit on 4GB, or 8GB USB drives so people
don't have to torrent, or download an image. We can pass the USB around
with the only prerequisite being to have Virtual Box installed on your
system.

I don't want to get lost in the weeds, it is simply a convenient
distribution mechanism. Especially, if we can hand it to you with all the
tools, and JDK repository installed. Then it is a matter of pulling the
changes, and we are off to the races.

I love my mac, and the Mac OS X build is almost a perfect build experience.
The only thing better would be to go into the root directory and just type
'make' without options. It is close. I want that to be the same experience
for every build on all OSes. Windows will be the challenge.

My only issue with Vagrant is bandwidth consumption to get it installed and
running if 20 of us meet in a coffee shop (READ: Pub) and hit a single
network access point. I don't want to assume people will do the work up
front to come to the event. I want to make sure that I have the highest
probably of success assuming the lowest common denominator. I do like the
idea of using something like Vagrant, but it would have to be in a place
with fat pipes.

I am excited that people are taking an interest in what Martijn, Ben, and
I... and a host of other characters are doing. It is a good thing. :-)

John
____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>
  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
  <http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
  <http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt