Ubuntu 11.10 VM including OpenJDK Build Image

John Yeary johnyeary at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:54:01 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get things done in my "spare" time. Last night I updated the
Darwin9 build process, and included scripts for my build, a link to my
build, a link to Kurt Miller's fine work, and just generally went through
the document. It is far from perfect, but it is a good start.

I will publish my other items for Ubutu, and the instructions to the
OpenJDK wikis tonight if I get a chance. I have some updates for the
README-builds.html file too for 11.10.The last update was for Ubuntu 9.04

I think that Kelly, Patrick, and Dailbor are on the right track. The best
approach is to make building the project as simple as typing 'make' and
waiting for it to succeed.

However, I would really like to stress that having a CI system build the
various versions, and exposing it for download is a posh idea. It would
guarantee to the person downloading it that it is a version which meets
quality standards, and is consistent. It is far less likely that the build
system is going to change as much as my personal system. I must admit I do
like having my name in the build. ;-) However, that is far less important
than getting people to feel confident in downloading the bits.

We want people to be able to download the latest bits, and not have to
worry about compiling it. If I want to use autoconf, I don't want to have
to think about downloading it and building it myself. I want to just go get
a compiled version. It should be that easy for OpenJDK too. Vagrant builds
are an extension of this concept.

John
____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>
  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
  <http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
  <http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt