JDK-8025128 and How to comment/proceed on issue I have reported ?

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Thu Oct 3 13:10:13 UTC 2013

On 10/03/2013 02:02 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> I got some questions on a specific issue but also on how to actually
> contribute bug reports to OpenJDK...
>
> 1) I open a bugreport against http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
> (with my java.net username)
>    The last page of this gives no link, no info besides "we will get
> back to you"
>
> 2) I receive a mail saying bug has been opened with an ID that is
> nowhere to be found and suggest to manually search for bug
>    on bugs.sun.com (you can see details on
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-15494)
>
> 3) I ask on twitter and @robilad (Dalibor Topic) tells that the real
> id is actually https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8025128
>    and what is mentioned in mail is an internal id. (he promises to
> follow up on getting the mail received in #2 fixed to be more clear)
>
> 4) Now https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8025128 gets fixed in
> main Java 8, but not Java 7 and I want to ask if that is intentional -
> but I have no way to comment on this issue.
>
> Thus two questions:
>
> A) Where do I comment/get info on if JDK-8025128 will be backported to
> an update for Java 7 so createTempFile doesn't break existing
> applications that works fine with any previous JDK 5, 6 and 7 releases.

The classical workflow is to first fix jdk8 and then backport it,
so if you take a look to the backport section of JDK-8025128,
It was backported yesterday in 7u45 which is due to 2013-10-14
see https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8025474

> B) Is the "workflow" above really expected ? i.e. why can't I as
> reporter comment on the jira or even actually get the link tot the
> jira that was opened when reporting the issue.

Currently it seems that the JIRA instance in not able to send mail to
people outside the ones listed in the census.
Mark (in CC), is it something fixable without involving lawyers ?

> Thank you,
> /max

Rémi