JDK-8025128 and How to comment/proceed on issue I have reported ?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Oct 9 14:59:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 02:10:26PM +0200, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>On 10/9/13 1:00 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> When I open a bug against linux kernel I'm not sent to one bug system,
>> which then creates a new bug for me in a second system without letting me know how to get there + making it impossible to comment on that.
>
>I think that is pretty much what happens when you file a bug against the kernel
>in a Linux distribution's bug system, and the conversation gets moved into the
>kernel bugzilla.

1) I can actually follow the original bug in linux distribution bug system - it doesn't dissappear
2) a link is normally posted on the original bug to point to the upstream...where I can normally go
   also participate.

in openjkd case, there is no access to #1 and #2 is not possible/allowed since jira is not possible
to comment on :)

>Reading the different distributions different instructions on filing kernel bugs [0]
>can be quite enlightening on how 'closed' real-world open source development on large
>projects can be in practice to newcomers. That's why conversations are important. ;)
>
>> I suggested that to be the issues reported via the website is possible to comment/follow
>> without having to go through the ordeal that is required now.
>
>That is a fine suggestion. Do you think a partial map of Component/Release/etc. items to one of
>http://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo would be a fair start?

Something like that would be a start for sure.

/max