Draft proposal: JEP 2.0

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Tue Apr 8 20:54:12 UTC 2014

The JEP Process [1] has served us well as a way to document proposed
enhancements to the JDK.  The process does not, however, say how we
decide to target a JEP to a particular JDK Release Project, nor does
it help track the work subsequently done on a JEP.  We also don't have
a documented process by which we can create and maintain the overall
schedule of a Release Project.

To fill these gaps I've drafted an extension of the JEP Process which
covers the planning of Release Projects, the tracking of the work done
for their Feature JEPs, and the tracking of work done for other kinds
of JEPs that are not associated with specific releases.  The current
draft of the proposal is here:

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jep/jep-2.0.html

The proposal suggests, among other things, that we create a new "JEP"
issue type in the JBS JIRA system so that it's easy to see the status
of a particular JEP as well as the overall status of an entire Release
Project.

This draft has been reviewed by a handful of people so far.  My thanks
to Mathias Axelsson, Brian Beck, Iris Clark, Joe Darcy, Brian Goetz,
Georges Saab, and Dalibor Topic for their feedback.

If you have comments or suggestions on this draft, please send them in
a public reply to this message by Monday, 21 April 2011.  I'd like to
put this new process in place shortly thereafter.

- Mark

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/