Draft proposal: JEP 2.0

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Wed Apr 16 23:59:56 UTC 2014

On 4/16/2014 1:58 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> On 15 April 2014 22:09, Jon Masamitsu <jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
> <mailto:jon.masamitsu at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>         The JEP owner is expected to update the Alert Status on a
>         weekly basis once a JEP is Funded and active development work
>         is under way. If the Alert Status is Yellow or Red then the
>         owner must use the Alert Reason field to explain what is
>         required to return the Status to Green. This way everyone
>         working on the release or otherwise interested in the JEP can
>         easily understand its current state.
>
>     This sounds a lot like the status I have to report to my managers.
>     Except that
>     I talk to my manager about how things are going.   This I have to
>     compose and
>     publish.  Sorry but it's something that I'll easily forget to do.
>
>         Any Committer to a Project may propose to target a Feature JEP
>         to a release of that Project after documenting a realistic
>         delivery plan and adequate funding. The proposer should be the
>         JEP's owner, or arrange to become the owner.
>

>     If I provided a "realistic delivery plan" how are you (people in
>     the OpenJDK community, this is
>     a question  for you) going to use it?  Is it that much more
>     valuable than a delivery in a milestone
>     date (as was done in JDK8)?
>

> At the very least it will certainly help the Adoption Group in that we
> can plan for hackdays where day to day developers can test new JEPs
> early and provide feedback on API design, implementation, bugs etc
> (much like we did for Date & Time and Lambdas).

Granted that would be good use but would it be just as good to have an
early access
milestone.    A delivery plan sounds like more than most would want to
look at
and feels like a duplicate of what I have to produce for my
management.    And I
don't want to cut-and-paste-and-sanitize an internal document to publish as
delivery plan.

Jon