checkstyle tool to enforce Sun/Oracle code standard on openJdk

Roman Ivanov ivanov-jr at mail.ru
Tue Dec 30 01:07:25 UTC 2014

Hi OpenJdk engineers,

I am owner of Checkstyle project -  http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/index.html   .

We had Sun code standard configuration that allow developers
write code in the same approach as authors of Java do.
But a lot of time passed from time that configuration is
introduced, and I am not completely sure that we do complete
and accurate in coverage  of Sun Java Standard.

This year we did complete code coverage for Google's style -
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/google_style.html

Guava team already agreed on fixing problems
and updating style guide to be more precise in some requirements -
https://github.com/google/guava/issues/1891

I have an idea to create similar page for Sun/Oracle style -
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/sun_style.html

Checkstyle already detected a lot of problem in javadoc on openjdk9 (base on change set: 11061:9ade71a206f9 ) -
http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/reports/javadoc/openjdk9/
That report contains only problems of Javadoc but  it could be as full as report over Guava - http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/reports/google-style/guava/.

Are you interested in such automatic validation of Sun/Oracle Code Standard ?
To let openJDK comply their own code standard :), let automatically validate any contributions to project .

thanks,
Roman Ivanov