Are JBS' policies flexible enough to welcome the JavaFX community?

Richard Bair richard.bair at oracle.com
Thu Apr 16 15:46:51 UTC 2015

What about people who file a bug via bugs.java.com <http://bugs.java.com/>, and then the OpenJDK developer adds comments (looking for additional info, etc) on the issue. Can the person who filed the bug add a comment on their issue?

> Btw, what are the numbers here? How many people do usually contribute to
> OpenJFX that are not in the in the position to become Authors?

A LOT. I’ve attached a file with all the contributors and the number of issues that each person contributed.

There are 2,346 individual JIRA accounts that have filed 1 or more issues. Of these, 1,204 accounts are for somebody that contributed a single issue.

1204 filed 1 issue
307 filed 2 issues
166 filed 3 issues
77 filed 4 issues
57 filed 5 issues
51 filed 6 issues
31 filed 7 issues
25 filed 8 issues
18 filed 9 issues
30 filed 10 issues
14 filed 11 issues
8 filed 12 issues
12 filed 13 issues
13 filed 14 issues

So if we consider people who file 1-3 issues as being generally beneath the threshold of OpenJDK authorship, then we’re talking about eliminating 71% of our submitters from JBS.

If there is a way for people to comment on their issues but they just have to go through bugs.java.com <http://bugs.java.com/> instead of JBS if they aren’t authors, then it isn’t as big a deal, but I thought (and I could be totally wrong) that bugs.java.com <http://bugs.java.com/> was basically fire-and-forget for the submitter. In this case we’re alienating nearly 3/4 of our community.

Richard

(Not sure if the attachment will survive)

This report was constructed by executing the following JIRA query:

project = Runtime and issueFunction in aggregateExpression("OpenJFX Reporters", "reporter.countBy{it}”)

The output of this I then processed by removing the opening and closing [ ] and putting the results in a file called ‘reporters’, and then running this shell script:

#!/bin/bash

echo "" > .list
for rep in `cat reporters`; do
    echo $rep >> .list
done

sed 's/:/ /g' < .list > .cleaned
sort -n -k 2 .cleaned > .sorted
cat .sorted

The output of this is a sorted list, which I then processed with grep.