Are JBS' policies flexible enough to welcome the JavaFX community?

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Fri Apr 17 08:11:51 UTC 2015

Just for statistics to add another data point:

My requirements (ISV with java-based products) would be

1) to be able to submit my bug reports -  bugs.java.com is fine for me just
for the process of submitting the report if searching, tracking is done in
a jira-based system

2) to track activities on my issue and those that matter for my work
(changes in priority, target release, comments etc.) - as far as I
understand it, that is not possible with JBS, because I am not eligible for
an account because I am not an Author (I have submitted 10 Jira Issues, 8
of which were accepted as defects and I have more in the pipeline for which
I have not had the time to build a test case yet).

3) to be able interact with the developers working on the issue, so they
can give me feedback or ask for additional information I did not provide
with the original bug report - not possible with the proposed change AFAICS

4) being able to comment, which is admittedly a two-edged sword. For me
it's not a hard requirement and I understand that discussions will take
place in Jira that should not but on the other hand you lose stuff like my
comment on JFX RT-40024 where you get qualified help, you don't have to pay
for. I would be surprised if you took the Jira history of people like Scott
Palmer, if you would not find quite a few of those.

2) Could be addressed rather easily with a change in JBS policy to allow
read-only accounts where people can add issues to their watch lists
3) That's what bug trackers are used for in most OSS projects I know. I
don't see an easy replacement. Private email does not really make too much
sense here

All of these could probably be addressed with a not too dramatic change in
JBS policy that introduced an additional role. Author is not a good fit for
people like myself. I do not want to and should bot be able to change issue
state. But why not introduce a Role like "Power-User" (naming is always the
hardest part) with which people can submit issues and add comments and
attachments? Have people ask for that role and grant it to them based on
their past bug reports submitted via bugs.java.com and maybe add
information about that possibility to the automatic reply one gets when
submitting a bug report to bugs.java.com.

Another side note. One guy in our dev team brought up the soft aspect of
people not getting their credits for submitting a qualified bug report
which in some cases takes hours of work. He did that once for the JDK and
was quite annoyed that his name got replaced by that of an Oracle employee
when the ticket was migrated from one system to the other. In terms of open
source spirit Java can and should learn a bit from other communities. Most
of our developers are active in other open source projects and when
comparing, Java feels rather at the low-end as far as community
friendliness is concerned.

--
Robert Krüger
Managing Partner