OpenJDK Governing Board Minutes: 2015/01/15

Martijn Verburg martijnverburg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:16:53 UTC 2015

Hi all,

To follow up on this I'd like to propose changing
http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/ to:

1.) Edit section 4. Work with your sponsor section by adding: "(such as the
Change Control Committee (CCC) for potentially breaking changes)" as
follows:

...Your sponsor will work with you to address any remaining deficiencies
and then guide you through the rest of the development process, navigating
the relevant internal Oracle engineering processes (such as the Change
Control Committee (CCC) for potentially breaking changes) on your behalf
and ultimately, if all goes well, pushing your patch into the appropriate
Mercurial repository....

This section could be revisited once the CCC comes out, probably something
like "...the relevant OpenJDK engineering processes...".

2.) Add a section 6, i.e.

6. Stuck? Need Help?

Please visit the Adoption Group[1] and send them an email on their mailing
list[2] and they'll be able to guide you.

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/groups/adoption/

If people think those edits are a good idea then I'm happy to make them if
(I can be sent the source HTML file).

Cheers,
Martijn

On 2 February 2015 at 10:01, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This was discussed at the governing board session at FOSDEM. Everyone was
in agreement that the CCC is a good thing for OpenJDK and that its been run
very well by Joe Darcy et al.  Oracle made it clear that they have wanted
to open this up for some time and it will get worked on!

> Obviously no ETA yet as it's going to be one of these "externalising
internal infrastructure" situations which I think everyone can appreciate
takes time in any large organisation. I also imagine that getting the
vulnerability group up and running will take priority first.

> I suspect Doug and others will be gently nudging this topic so it's not
forgotten :-).

> In the mean time the adoption group will make a couple of web page / doc
suggestions so contributors are aware of CCC and how to get in touch with
the right people.

> Cheers,
> Martijn
>

> On Monday, 2 February 2015, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:

>>> CCC is a committee/process for approving any change in JDK classes
>>> that has a risk of impacting compatibility;
>>

>> Not just JDK classes but any exported interface, such as VM flags,
launcher flags, plus specifications like JVM TI, JNI etc. Almost anything**
that affects a "specification" has to go through this process to ensure
that not only has compatibility been considered but also that the platform
rules regarding compatibility (binary, source etc) have been adhered to.