Project proposal: Shenandoah

Roman Kennke roman at kennke.org
Sat Feb 28 13:01:25 UTC 2015

Hi Jon,

> > Shenandoah is developed and maintained by Red Hat, yes, but the
> > intention is, and has always been, to integrate it into upstream
> > Hotspot, if OpenJDK people think it's feasible. The first step in this
> > direction is the creation of a Shenandoah project (this proposal) and we
> > also want to move forward with the Shenandoah JEP 189.
>
> I would also like to understand how an integration of Shenandoah into
> Hotspot would affect my day-to-day work.   For example if I build Hotspot
> will I skip the build of Shenandoah sources by default?

Build-wise Shenandoah is a GC like all other GCs. When you build
Hotspot, you build Shenandoah. It will be excluded by setting
INCLUDE_ALL_GCS to false, iirc. We could add a build flag to exclude
Shenandoah, but I don't really see the point of it.

Shenandoah is a bit special because it requires read and write barriers
in the interpreter, C1, C2 and the runtime. We tried as much as possible
to make this a clean interface, such to avoid scattering Shenandoah code
all over the place. One of our goals is to not impact performance or
behaviour with any other GC. If any other GC in the future requires
similar barriers, it could just implement those interfaces. It is not
perfect yet and needs some cleanup.

All that being said, the intention of this project proposal is not
directly to integrate Shenandoah into upstream Hotspot yet (that's the
purpose of the JEP, ultimately), but to provide a development space for
Shenandoah under the OpenJDK umbrella, where it belongs, where OpenJDK
people can easily try it out, etc.

BTW, according to http://openjdk.java.net/projects/#new-project we need
a Hotspot group lead to declare to sponsor the project:

"At least one Group Lead must declare that their Group is a sponsor of
the proposed Project."

Best regards,
Roman