CFV: Project Trinity

Christian Thalinger cthalinger at twitter.com
Fri Apr 21 21:54:14 UTC 2017

> On Apr 21, 2017, at 11:41 AM, Karthik Ganesan <karthik.ganesan at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for your interest. This question was brought up previously in the discussion email thread for this project:
>
> Project Sumatra was aimed at translation of Java byte code to execute on
> GPU, which was an ambitious goal and a challenging task to take up. In this
> project, we aim to come up with APIs targeting the most common Analytics
> operations that can be readily offloaded to accelerators transparently. Most
> of the information needed for offload to the accelerator is expected to be
> readily provided by the API semantics and there by, simplifying the need to
> do tedious byte code analysis.

I disagree.  The first paragraph on the Sumatra project page says:

"This primary goal of this project is to enable Java applications to take advantage of graphics processing units (GPUs) and accelerated processing units (APUs)--whether they are discrete devices or integrated with a CPU--to improve performance.”

while you state:

"This Project would explore enhanced execution of bulk
aggregate calculations over Streams through offloading
calculations to hardware accelerators.”

It’s the same thing.  I just don’t see the need to spin up yet-another OpenJDK project that aims at the same goal.