CFV: Project Portola

Mikael Vidstedt mikael.vidstedt at oracle.com
Thu Feb 23 18:58:37 UTC 2017

Volker,

Thank you for the excellent comments/questions. My bad on not bringing this up for discussion before sending out the CFV - I must have listened too closely to the violent agreement amongst all the voices in my head.

I think we'd have to discover and discuss as part of the project how exactly to model the Alpine/musl port, but if it helps the preliminary investigation I did on linux/x64 before sending this CFV out tells me that the changes seem to mostly revolve around cleaning up various parts of the “linux" (and “posix") JDK sources, effectively just making the code base as a whole more portable. That preliminary work did not uncover anything inherently CPU architecture specific, so until proven otherwise I would assume that the musl supported platforms is the limiting factor.

Hope this helps,
Mikael