Is Java WebStart Deprecated?

August Nagro augustnagro at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 20:30:00 UTC 2017

The Java 9 Release Notes [1] include:

"Java Deployment Technologies are deprecated and will be removed in a
future release. Java Applet and WebStart functionality, including the
Applet API, The Java plug-in, the Java Applet Viewer, JNLP and Java Web
Start including the javaws tool are all deprecated in JDK 9 and will be
removed in a future release."

The bell has been ringing for Applets for some time, but I am surprised by
the inclusion of Java WebStart / JNLP. The technology is the recommended
migration path from applets [2], and provides some really enabling features
like os-agnostics shortcuts, icons, and the ability to auto-update in the
background.

The `appletlauncher` executable has a clear deprecation warning in Java 9,
but `javaws` has no such notice, leading me to believe there may be an
error. In any case, Java Web Start is a mature, useful technology that has
undoubtedly received large investment over the years. It's sudden removal
would be quite disappointing.

Regards,

August Nagro

[1]: