Oracle JDK vs. OpenJDK: font engine differences

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Nov 14 16:58:01 UTC 2017

> This is also JavaFX, or am I misreading the bug report and target components?

Right. Any reference you find anywhere to current shipping Oracle binaries using freetype
are limited entirely to OpenJFX where it uses the platform rasteriser and that HAPPENS
to be freetype on Linux
It does not ship or include freetype .. it just picks it up from the desktop environment ..
no different than any other platform API JDK might use.

T2K is not used by default anywhere in OpenJFX today.

It was still there for embedded use on some platforms that did not include freetype by
default and for Windows Vista (!) which did not include the needed DirectWrite libraries.
Those are now both legacy / unsupported and so T2K is already removed from OpenJFX (not OpenJDK) in 10.

-phil.

On 11/14/2017 04:56 AM, Mario Torre wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 10:42 +0100, dalibor topic wrote:
>> On 14.11.2017 10:16, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>> dalibor topic <dalibor.topic at oracle.com
>>> <mailto:dalibor.topic at oracle.com>> schrieb am Di. 14. Nov. 2017 um
>>> 09:44:
>>>

>>>      On 14.11.2017 02:55, Daniel Gredler wrote:
>>>       > I'd love to know more about
>>>       > the way forward here.
>>>
>>>      Please see
>>>      http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2017-October
>>> /020929.html
>>>

>>> But that's about removinf T2K from JavaFX. The question was about
>>> the
>>> JDK. To my knowledge, the Oracle JDK 9 still contains and uses T2K