Is Java WebStart Deprecated?

Daniel Latrémolière daniel.latremoliere at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:22:46 UTC 2017

I don't think deploying business applications on internal computers by using a public mechanism (also allowing others external applications on internal computers) is perfect.

More than a future for Java WebStart, I would be possibly more interested by a future for some selected API. If using application-private JRE is done to build an internal runtime & downloader & launcher, then applications can be downloaded by using a custom descriptor, and loaded by using ModuleLayer, ModuleFinder, etc. (i.e. an old JWS application evolve to a Jigsaw layer).

But, I don't see useful API for an application suite (i.e. declaring a new application in the suite and allowing some features, like [1]).

Daniel.

[1]: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/jre/api/javaws/jnlp/javax/jnlp/IntegrationService.html