CFV: New Project: ZGC

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 07:07:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM, dalibor topic
<dalibor.topic at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 26.10.2017 17:42, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>
>> For example the Shenandoah project had to go through a six month
>> interrogation [2,3] process before they could finally start the call
>> for voting on their project creation.
>

> The Shenandoah discussion in February had run its course within 9 days.
>
> Once Roman wanted to initiate the vote on the Project in March, it became
> clear that the HotSpot Group Lead at the time was no longer at Oracle, and
> no longer actively acting as Group Lead, and therefore unable to get to
> sponsor the Project, as required in the Bylaws for the vote. [0]
>
> While an inactive Group Lead could have been removed by votes of the HotSpot
> Group's Members (or in exceptional circumstances, by a vote of the Governing
> Board), I think that it's preferable for a person that is no longer acting
> as a Group Lead to resign if no longer interested in the role, than to
> attempt to vote them out.
>
> The resignation happened three months later, in June. [1] The vote for a
> new Group Lead was completed by the end of June. [2] The Governing Board
> confirmed the new Group Lead in July. [3]
>
> The delay between the initial discussion of Shenandoah and the Project vote
> had nothing to do with interrogations of any kind.

It is true that the delay in project creation was also caused by some
administrative hiccups but the general impression remains that
everything Oracle wants within the project proceeds quickly and
smoothly while this is not always the case for requests from external
contributors.