CFV: New Project: Loom

Markus Gronlund markus.gronlund at oracle.com
Sat Oct 28 12:13:39 UTC 2017

Vote: Yes

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Pressler
Sent: den 27 oktober 2017 21:28
To: announce at openjdk.java.net
Subject: CFV: New Project: Loom

I hereby propose the creation of Project Loom with myself as the Lead and the HotSpot Group as the sponsoring Group.

In accordance with the OpenJDK guidelines [1], this project will provide a venue to explore and incubate Java VM features and APIs built on top of them for the implementation of lightweight user-mode threads (fibers), delimited continuations (of some form), and related features, such as explicit tail-call [2].

The initial Reviewers and Committers will be:

* John Rose
* Karen Kinnear
* Alan Bateman
* Brian Goetz
* Mark Reinhold
* Ron Pressler
* Paul Sandoz
* Frederic Parain
* Erik Duveblad
* Vladimir Ivanov

The initial source of this project will be a clone of a JDK 10 repository. Changes from the JDK 10 parent will be synced into Loom periodically. Similar to Project Valhalla, we will follow a "commit first, review later" policy, as code will not flow directly from the Loom repositories into the JDK repositories, but instead will be done by a "curated merge" where select changes are extracted into new changesets for incorporation into JDK repositories when they are ready for inclusion.

Votes are due by by the end of November 10, 2017 (UTC).

Only current OpenJDK Members [3] are eligible to vote on this motion. Votes must be cast in the open on the discuss list. Replying to this message is sufficient if your mail program honors the Reply-To header.

For Lazy Consensus voting instructions, see [4].

Ron Pressler

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/#new-project
[2] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rpressler/loom/Loom-Proposal.html
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/census#members