Accelerating the JDK release cadence

cowwoc cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org
Thu Sep 7 19:04:29 UTC 2017

While I like the idea of more frequent releases, I see two problems with the
proposal in its current form:

1. It takes longer than 6 months for users to expose design problems.
Consider tagging new features with @Beta annotations, allowing the breaking
of backward compatibility for another year or so, and eventually graduating
them to stability by removing the @Beta tags.

2. Every product that has used time-based version numbers has inevitably
dropped the approach (the only exception that comes to mind is MS Word).
When this happens, the version history is permanently polluted with large
version numbers. Instead of hijacking the major.minor version numbers,
consider placing this information in the build number (e.g.
9.1.5+2017-11-15)

Gili

--
Sent from: http://openjdk.5641.n7.nabble.com/OpenJDK-General-discussion-f67169.html