Accelerating the JDK release cadence

cowwoc cowwoc at bbs.darktech.org
Thu Sep 7 19:48:30 UTC 2017

On 2017-09-07 3:19 PM, Jonathan Bluett-Duncan wrote:

>     ...Github is horribly slow for larger projects.
>

> I wonder if you could you point me to a particular open source project
> on GitHub that suffers from this problem, and explain to me what slows
> down exactly?

I've never encounted this problem on github.com, only Github Enterprise.
I've only ever dealt with smaller projects on github.com and it's
possible that the former is better managed than Github Enterprise
installations tend to be. In the case of my particular employer, most
operations were decently fast, but opening, comments, and merging PRs
was extremely slow. This has only gotten slower over time with newer
versions of Github Enterprise and as the size of our projects have grown.

I think we're more likely to see bugs.openjdk.java.net opened to the
public before we'll see the code on Github/Bitbucket. The source-code is
already open to the public. The main benefit of moving it to
Github/Bitbucket would be to provide 2-way communication in the form of
bug reports and PRs. Given Oracle's business model, I don't see that
happening any time soon.

Gili