RFC, Project Metropolis`

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 14:05:34 UTC 2017

Hi John,

On 14/09/17 06:08, John Rose wrote:
> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jrose/metropolis/Metropolis-Proposal.html>
>
> I would like to invite discussion on a proposal for a new OpenJDK
> Project[1], to be titled “Project Metropolis”, an incubator for
> experimenting with advanced JVM implementation
> techniques. Specifically, we wish to re-implement significant parts of
> Hotspot’s C++ runtime in Java itself, a move we call Java-on-Java.
Please don't take the the following as representing an answer from Red
Hat. With that qualification out of the way, I can say that am
personally very interested in contributing to a Java-on-Java OpenJDK
runtime -- having experienced many of the benefits of such a model
working on the JikesRVM and Xerox Interlisp-D runtimes.

This idea has many benefits, as you mentioned. I think it is
particularly valuable that a Java-on-Java implementation replaces the
hard, black box that currently separates VM tech from JDK tech with a
much more fluid, transparent boundary layer. The more that those who use
the JVM can understand about what it does for them and at what cost the
better.

So, this gets a very excited thumbs up from me!

regards,

Andrew Dinn