Call for Discussion: New Project: Skara -- sample repacked git repo of JDK 12 sources now available

Игорь Антонов ngortheone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:04:06 UTC 2018

HI everyone

I am reading this thread a bit differently.

There is a problem: in a current state user's/contributors' experience sucks. It makes it hard for new contributors to get up to speed and be productive.
And then there are different proposals how to improve current state of things:
- GitHub(or other similar hosted platform) , as I understand, mostly because of a friendly and intuitive UI. But there are drawbacks to, code review process for large codebases is beyond terrible.
- Switch to git since more people are familiar with it. Which is also "out of frying pan into a fire" kind of change. There is little benefit, mercurial matches 99% of gits functionality, and since losing commit history is not acceptable migrating everything to git will be a pain. Risk/cost-reward ratio is questionable.

But taking a step back from debating specific technologies - should we instead think how to make current user experience better in an evolutionary way, instead of revolutionary?

IMHO we should be asking questions like similar to below, instead of debating git over mercurial and github over something else:
- How can we make UI of http://hg.openjdk.java.net/ nicer?
- How can we make code review process experience better and keep benefits if current mailing lists? (maybe introduce some sort of UI, not everyone is happy sending patches over email. Especially younger auditory that is used to github)
..etc.

Otherwise this debate will boil down to oldfags (with hg and mailing lists) vs newfags (with git and github) - and oldfags will win, since they have more power/control. We need to direct this conversation into a productive route.

Thanks.

--Ihor