Call for Discussion: New Project: Skara -- investigating source code management options for the JDK sources

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jul 30 06:02:42 UTC 2018

On 28/07/2018 4:31 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> If this is just a move from mercural to git with all else staying the
> same, I am indifferent. I like mercurial but git is pretty similar.
> Moving to git may make life easier for all those people who manage
> downstream repos in git. Git may also (need to check that) run faster
> under Windows Cygwin, which would be a nice bonus.
>
> However, I am apprehensive about a move away from the current review
> process (mailing lists). The proposal mentioned "different providers"
> which I assume would mean GitHub?
>
> For me, the review discussions on the mailing lists - with all their
> combined knowledge, wisdom and civility - are a huge wealth in itself.
> Close in value, to me, to the source code itself. I am afraid that
> moving to a different review platform would endanger all that.

+1 on that. With a simple email-based review process (plus webrevs
hosted on cr.o.j.n) I can easily scan dozens of incoming changes to see
if they may be something I need to dive more deeply into. That is all
lost if reviews happens inside some other system - even if a
notification email is generated when such reviews are initiated.

Changes to the review processes/tools should be kept a separate as
possible from the selection of an underlying SCM.

Cheers,
David