Upcoming project proposal

Marcus Hirt marcus.hirt at oracle.com
Tue Mar 13 17:22:36 UTC 2018

Hi Sven,

Thanks for the friendly letter of encouragement! ;) I will pass it on to the team!

Kind regards,
Marcus

From: Sven Reimers <sven.reimers at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 18:19
To: Marcus Hirt <marcus.hirt at oracle.com>
Cc: discuss <discuss at openjdk.java.net>
Subject: Re: Upcoming project proposal

Hi Marcus,

great proposal.. really looking forward to open source jmc...

Thanks for the hard work..

Sven

Am 13.03.2018 18:14 schrieb "Marcus Hirt" <mailto:marcus.hirt at oracle.com>:
Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of finalizing a project proposal for open
sourcing JDK Mission Control (formerly known as Java Mission Control).
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or concerns!

Here is a draft of the proposal:
---8<---
I hereby propose the creation of the Mission Control Project with myself
(Marcus Hirt) as the Lead and the HotSpot Group as the sponsoring Group.

In accordance with the OpenJDK guidelines [1], this project will provide a
home for the continued development of the JDK Mission Control suite of tools,
also known as JMC. JMC is a profiling and diagnostics tools suite for the JVM,
primarily targeting systems running in production. JMC also provides
independent bundles for parsing Java flight recordings, headless analysis of
Java flight recordings, and more.

We are now open-sourcing JMC to help keep the JVM-based languages in the
absolute forefront in terms of production time profiling and diagnostics.

Open sourcing the core libraries of JMC enables the Java ecosystem to quickly
take advantage of features currently in the process of being open sourced in
the JVM, such as the Java Flight Recorder (JFR), across all contemporary
versions of Java.

Open sourcing the stand alone JMC application will provide the community with
a base suite of tooling for advanced JVM features, such as Java Flight
Recorder. It will also provide the community with an opportunity to build upon
this tooling to, for example, expand the number of IDEs supported, not to
mention provide new features and capabilities.

I (Marcus Hirt) am a member of the Java Platform Group at Oracle, and I have
been working with Java and JVM technology since the early days of Java. I was
one of the founders of Appeal Virtual Machines, and the original team leader
of Java Mission Control.

Many people have made significant contributions to Java Mission Control.
Special thanks go out to Klara Ward, Erik Gahlin and Markus Persson who
have been around for most of the journey.

The initial Reviewers and Committers will be:

* Marcus Hirt (Reviewer)
* Klara Ward (Reviewer)
* Ola Westin (Reviewer)
* Henrik Dafgård (Reviewer)
* Per Kroon (Reviewer)
* Erik Greijus (Reviewer)
* Erik Gahlin (Reviewer)
* Guru Hb (Committer)
* Suchita Chaturvedi (Committer)
* Sharath Ballal (Committer)

The initial source of this project will be based on the development branch of
Mission Control 7. The final development and stabilization of Mission Control 7
will take place in the open. Change review policy will be determined by the
Lead and a consensus of Reviewers. Review is expected to be relaxed initially,
but made more strict as we get closer to the first release.

The project will host at least the following mailing list:

* jmc-dev for developers

Only current OpenJDK Members [1] are eligible to vote on this motion.
Votes must be cast in the open on the discuss list. Replying to this
message is sufficient if your mail program honors the Reply-To header.

For Lazy Consensus voting instructions, see [2].

Kind regards,
Marcus Hirt

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/census#members
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/#new-project-vote
---8<---

We’ve been working on the open sourcing for a while now, and if nothing
unexpected happens, I plan on posting the project proposal within 6 weeks.
Again, please let me know if you have any concerns! Friendly letters of
encouragement are welcome too; open sourcing something that has been part
of a commercial offering for more than a decade is a bit painful. ;)

Kind regards,
Marcus