Group Proposal, for discussion: IDE & Tooling support

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Tue Mar 5 18:04:58 UTC 2019

So, one of the thing that emerged at the OpenJDK Committer Workshop was
mainly the need of having a place where to discuss IDE related issues.

While build-dev and build-infra in general are all fine places to have
these discussions (and we had some of these in the past), there are
things that are suboptimal in our current approach:

* specificity: build-dev has a lot more traffic on a lot of issues that
have nothing to do with IDE support
* scattered-ness: somethings, yes, will rely on build support to 'do the
right thing' - but most of them don't see the jtreg plugin support in
IntelliJ. That lives in code-tools and has nothing to do whatsoever with
build-dev or makefiles, even. All discussion related to that is
happening on jtreg-dev.

So, we need a place for discuss things, and to provide documentation of
_what already_ exists. At the moment, honestly, I'm much less interested
into adding more features into the various supports we have.

Do we need a separate repo to do the documentation part? I don't think
so. And that's what led us to consider forming a group. Now, I don't
feel too strongly about this - but a Group doesn't strike me as a choice
that doesn't make sense either.

As a closing comment, of course whatever we do might be affected (or
affect!) build system components - so I'm not proposing we discuss
things in a vacuum; but I want to stress the importance of centralizing
all discussion and documentations in a place that feels 'independent'
from compiler-dev, build-dev or jtreg-dev.

Maurizio