How to interpret the Classpath-Exception?

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 10:23:41 UTC 2019

Hi Clemens,

from my personal point of view, what you describe is not covered by the GPL+CPE.

GPL+CPE is intended to cover the "normal" use cases where you run a
Java application (even if it uses JNI code) on the OpenJDK without
"infecting" your code with the GPL. That's why all the OpenJDK code a
"normal" Java application will interface/interact with are covered by
the GPL+CPE (e.g. all the Java sources, most of the native class
library code and all the JNI/JVMTI headers). However, most of the
HotSpot sources (i.e. all the sources under src/hotspot) are only
covered by the GPL (without CPE). I doubt that you can port OpenJDK to
a new platform without touching the HotSpot sources.

One thing you could do however would be to use an alternative virtual
machine implementation like for example OpenJ9 which comes under a
less restrictive open source license. OpenJ9 is a clean room JVM
implementation which is available under either Eclipse or Apache
license [1] and uses the OpenJDK class library (without Hotspot) as
standard Java library implementation.

Regards,
Volker

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/oj9_faq.html