New candidate JEP: 369: Migrate to GitHub

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Nov 14 19:06:56 UTC 2019

* Erik Helin:

> There is no such thing as "switching away from mailing lists to GitHub".
> All activity on GitHub is mirrored on the OpenJDK mailing lists.

Do you plan to use comments as a way to interact with various bots?
Will those be mirrored as well?

It's hard to pin down what I find so off-putting in the automated
Github mail output.  I suspect that one of the issues is that you
often have a thread which contains solely of directive to bots and
terse one-line statements.  Sure, the data is all there, but it's
either not very relevant to me as a reader (why would I care that
someone has scheduled a trybot run?) or not very pleasant to read.

With email, people make more of an effort to produce something useful
to their (email) audience.  Practices which have become appropriate
for web tools (like treating comments as some sort of command line) do
not translate to an email audience, unfortunately.