Call for Discussion: New Project: CRaC

Anton Kozlov akozlov at azul.com
Wed Jul 21 12:11:43 UTC 2021

Hi Andrew,

This is a very interesting topic.  The targeted problems are similar, but the
means and implications are different.  There may be few intersections.
However, I'm not sure how practical they are.

Taking this another way, to reduce the start-up of the static Java program, as
much as possible of execution is performed in the compile time.  From GraalVM,
sometimes you need human assistance or a profiling run that provides missing
pieces of information.  The warm-up is solved by analyzing and optimizing all
the future execution paths.

A run with CRaC API could be a profiling phase that constructs 100% of the
state without a complex analysis of the initialization phase.  We don't need an
analysis if we have a complete result of a single run.  Even if it caught too
many details of that run, a java program can register beforeCheckpoint callback
to clear some parts of the state before it is saved.  For example, it could be
possible to dump java heap, metaspace, etc at the time of "checkpoint", while
the result is not a real runtime image.  And then use this JVM data as a
starting point for the static Java program compilation, compiling in
afterRestore methods that update the state after the restore in CRaC.  In
theory, any choice that cannot be decided by static analysis from the initial
run could even be treated as unreachable.  So the amount of information for
static analysis and the outcome of compilation will be regulated by the
extensiveness of the profiling run.

And still, the same Java code with CRaC API could be used saved as a part of a
complete Java runtime image, done by VM, CRIU, etc.

Thanks,
Anton