Authorization layer API and low level access checks.

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Thu Jun 24 02:24:10 UTC 2021

Thanks Andrew,

For the simple case, of replacing the SecurityManager stack walk, one
could use reflection.

Thank you for also confirming that is not possible (or at least very
unlikely) to add a GuardBuilder to Java 8, the proposal is for JDK code
to use a provider mechanism, to intercept permission checks, so custom
authentication layers can be implemented, this could be accepted in
future versions of Java, but not existing. As it is said, there is no
harm in asking.

The advantages of being able to address issues with Permission
implementations and customise, for example,  by providing a replacement
for SocketPermission, that doesn't call DNS, and allows wild cards for
subnets, would be significant for the simplification of authorization.

So developers might hope to be able to implement a significantly
improved authorization layer for a future version of Java, provided we
have some basic things like JVM hooks for access checks.

--
Regards,

Peter Firmstone