Call for Discussion: MSI installer for Windows

Alexey Semenyuk alexey.semenyuk at oracle.com
Mon Jun 27 16:21:42 UTC 2022

Hi Alex,

OpenJDK already provides a packaging tool for Java applications and Java
runtimes.
We don't believe OpenJDK needs another one targeting a narrower scope.

Rather than contributing an MSI installer to OpenJDK which would
duplicate a lot of the functionality already in jpackage, we'd encourage
you to contribute to jpackage enhancements allowing it to satisfy
broader range of requirements for Java runtime installers and should
allow any OpenJDK vendor to leverage it to create whatever exact
installer they may want.

- Alexey