Deprecating java.util.Date, java.util.Calendar and java.text.DateFormat and their subclasses

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Tue May 10 19:01:32 UTC 2022

You're definitely on to something in that java.util.Date is obsolete, or
obsolescent, and perhaps conceptually at least it should be deprecated. If I were
reviewing some code that used Date I'd certainly flag the issue. The main difficulty
is that its usage is entrenched in implementation code, but more importantly, in APIs.

In another message you listed several dozen places in the JDK that use Date and
related APIs. It would be certain amount of work to introduce replacements that use
newer APIs and to suppress the warnings resulting from the existing APIs. This is a
bunch of work, but it's not intractable. However, the benefits aren't very high, and
so the priority is low.

That's just the JDK. What also needs to be considered is the amount of code out
there that *uses* these APIs. Most of the usages are in legacy code, which people
are unlikely to want to spend a large effort on migrating. In addition, Date and
friends are used in third party library *APIs*, which have their own users. There's
a lot of this code.

There are a few possible responses maintainers of this code can take when new
deprecations appear.

  - Ignoring them. OK, if people ignore deprecation, then it doesn't really matter
what we do.

  - Disable deprecation warnings. If people had warnings enabled, they presumably
found value in having those warnings. Mostly this is useful for preventing new code
from using deprecated APIs. If a lot of many not-very-useful warnings suddenly
appear, people might disable warnings entirely, and thus miss the warnings they'd
actually find useful. This defeats the purpose of having the warnings.

  - Migrate code to use other APIs. Some people will do this, if they're in a
position to do so. Maintainers of legacy code generally are not able to do this.
Library maintainers are also often not in a position to do this, as they have their
own compatibility concerns.

  - Suppress warnings at the call sites using @SuppressWarnings. This is probably
the most common alternative to code migration. This isn't a terrible option, but
it's tedious, low-value work, and people don't like being forced to do work that
isn't providing value to them.

This last point may be more significant than you think. When I deprecated
java.util.Observer/Observable in Java 9, there was very little usage of these
classes; yet I received a bunch of complaints from people having to deal with the
warnings. Date and related classes have several orders of magnitude more usage. The
number of warnings generated will be huge, and the effort required to deal with them
will be tremendous.

By the way, all this also applies to other obsolescent but widely used classes such
as Vector, Hashtable, LinkedList, URL, etc.

So if warnings are a problem, then maybe we should do something about that? That's a
possibility. Some better form of @SuppressWarnings might be helpful. More flexible
control over what warnings javac emits might be useful too.

(Somebody will inevitably suggest a different annotation that doesn't generate
warnings. That would be incorrect, because the policy of how to handle usage of
deprecated APIs, and whether warnings should be emitted, should be in the hands of
the maintainers of the code that uses those APIs, not the API designers.)

s'marks