System.getProperty("file.encoding.pkg") == null ???

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Fri Oct 14 10:32:09 UTC 2022

On 13/10/2022 17:22, Amn wrote:

> The following code:
> *System.getProperty("file.encoding.pkg");*
> in my Debian 11 box using Java 17 reports "null", I was expecting
> something like UTF-x.
> I did a search on the net in the hope to find some explanation
> regarding the behaviour of the above code, but to no avail. Can anyone
> help me understand the behaviour of the above method call?

I suspect you are looking for file.encoding rather than
file.encoding.pkg.  I think the undocumented system property
file.encoding.pkg dates from the sun.io converters where its value was
"sun.io" rather then a charset name. All of this has been obsolete since
JDK 1.4 (2004) so I suspect it's just a typo in the name of the system
property. If there are issues in this area then it's best to follow-up
on core-libs-dev, not here.

-Alan