There is a regression in JDK 23, but I cannot attach a jar at bugreport.java.com.

Asva Raten nevuraketna at outlook.com
Fri Oct 4 15:01:06 UTC 2024

I have a jar file that jdeps in JDK 22 can properly analyze and return correct results for, while jdeps in JDK 23 crashes for the exact same jar file. Now I don't know, there might be an issue with the jar file itself but since jdeps in JDK 22 can analyze it while jdeps in JDK 23 cannot, there is a change of behavior that I want to report. Maybe it is the new JDK's behavior that is incorrect in which case it should be fixed, or if it is correct then that should be documented in the release notes because it breaks backward compatibility.

I was writing a report at bugreport.java.com, but there is no way to attach a jar file on there. The jar in question is an uber/fat/shaded jar that has been processed by an optimization tool, Proguard, so I don't want to inconvenience the JDK team with all the steps of making a fat jar with the library and running Proguard on it. I need to just attach a jar file for them to be able to debug it using jdeps.

What should I do?