Proposed IcedTea 6 release

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at
Fri Aug 7 06:21:43 PDT 2009

2009/8/7 Mark Wielaard <mark at>:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 09:01 -0400, Lillian Angel wrote:
>> > If we're going to delay the new release to get the ARM thing in and
>> > then test it, it may be weeks before a release appears with the
>> > security fixes.  The minor release would fill this gap, ensuring there
>> > is a patched release but without a need for extensive testing of new
>> > features/changes.
>> >
>> Ok, understood. I can do the release today if everyone agrees this is
>> what we want to do.
> A rather see a real release with all the new stuff in instead of
> delaying it for a new release cycle to add even more stuff. But if
> backporting selected security patches to a minor release is easier for
> you then go for that.
> Cheers,
> Mark

I agree.  I thought we were pretty much ready to go with a 1.6 release
including the new plugin/netx/shark fixes and the SystemTap update,
and hence could have rolled that out as the security update as well.
But if others want the ARM port in 1.6, we need a minor release of the
old tree (1.5) to get the security patches out there ASAP.
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8

More information about the distro-pkg-dev mailing list