Re: Graal - first step

Remi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Wed Apr 4 04:33:07 PDT 2012

The decision to profile or not should not be a global decision.

Let's take an example, delayed de-visualization.
Language like scalable or java8 allows to write high order functions that by example loop over a collection of items and call a block of code for each element.
From a VM point of view the call to the block of code is megamorphic. One way to devirtualize it is to let the interpreter to profile the code so we will have enough information to find which concrete high order function is called thus be able to inline it but instead of generating only a vtable call for the block call one can also add a code that will profile the type again.
Because the code was inclined, the block call is not megamorphic anymore and a second generation will be able to fully online the high order function call at callsite.
So deciding to insert profiling information should not be done globally.

Rémi

Sent from my Phone