lambda support for Graal

Doug Simon @ Oracle doug.simon at oracle.com
Wed Apr 3 13:42:20 PDT 2013

On Apr 3, 2013, at 10:15 PM, "Venkatachalam, Vasanth" <Vasanth.Venkatachalam at amd.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone explain what the plans for adding support to compile JDK8 lambda expressions?

We have no current plans for adding this support. As far as I am aware, we have not yet looked into what compiler support is needed for lambda expressions. Is it only a matter of supporting invokedynamic and MethodHandles?

> We'll need this functionality soon for the work we're doing, namely generating HSAIL for parallelizable Java code marked with lambdas.

How does this marking show up in the class file/bytecode? It may be possible to do some kind of pattern matching.

-Doug