License

Dain Sundstrom dain at iq80.com
Mon Aug 5 10:58:30 PDT 2013

I have a number of personal projects I work on that I was considering using Truffle for, but my projects are libraries distributed under ASl2.  For example, Airline is a library for processing command line arguments.  I was building a small language in Airline and possibly one day using it on the substrate vm for bash tab completion.  I also work on a system for managing large clusters and I was thinking of using Truffle for the development of a control language.  Both of these projects have a history of ASL so switching to GPL at this stage is not possible.  Airline is an embedded library so using GPL at all is a non-starter.

As for my FB projects, I was working on convincing the team to use Truffle which is already a big risk given the early stages of development, but without a clear licensing story, I could not justify the costs.  As for Presto specifically, Presto will be ASL2 to integrate with the Java big data analytics community which uses ASL2.

Finally, for most other JVM languages JRuby, Jython, any maybe one day JPHP, this would not work.  Most languages on the JVM are embedded into bigger software, and the GPL would infect the business software.

If your main concern is that implementers are shipping their software under an open source license, everything I mention above is open source.

-dain