sharing graal experiments

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Feb 20 17:48:35 PST 2013

On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:30 PM, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:

> One more thought:  How about if we have graal/graal copied into sumatra-dev/graal, keeping the existing copy of jdk8/hotspot also.
>
> Upside:  There will always be a known-good snapshot of the whole jdk8/* forest, and builds will be known to work modulo local changes (whether on branches or not).
>
> For graal-based experiments we would expect developers to remove the "stock" hotspot and replace it with graal (mv hotspot{,-jdk8}; mv graal hotspot).
>
> Downsides: Redundancy (although the hotspot and graal repos would be near duplicates).  Uncertainty as to where to host branches (stock hotspot vs. graal).

Having slept on this idea, I like it.  We'll have a "matched set" of jdk8, plus graal.  We'll need a custom build procedure that will take the hotspot sources from graal instead of the standard jdk8/hotspot.

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/sumatra/sumatra-dev/{jdk,hotspot,...}
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/sumatra/sumatra-dev/graal
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/sumatra/sumatra-dev/scratch

Any objections to making the graal repo this way?

— John