escapa analysis, packed objects

Garcia Gutierrez Miguel Alfredo miguelalfredo.garcia at epfl.ch
Thu Jul 25 13:32:16 PDT 2013

Hi,

Escape analysis in Graal looks interesting. Are there any publications describing it? What I've heard about is:

  (1) Jong-Deok Shoi et al. https://wikis.oracle.com/display/HotSpotInternals/EscapeAnalysis

  (2) EA in the client compiler, http://ssw.jku.at/General/Staff/TK/Research/Publications/

Another question, this time looking into the future. Approaches have been put forward to support "structs in the JVM", things like:

  packed objects, http://www.slideshare.net/mmitran/ibm-java-packed-objects-mmit-20121120

  http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/169

What about Graal? For example, the use case "method returns a struct", would HotSpot stand in the way, or can LIR be tweaked to realize that? I know it's a slippery topic, but comments are welcome! :)

Miguel

--
Miguel Garcia
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology