update on graal HSAIL backend webrev

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Tue Jun 18 12:33:06 PDT 2013

Hi Vasanth,

Here's a proposal that should allow us to integrate your HSAIL backend changes and tests and avoids all licensing issues.

As I understand it, the HSAIL tests depend on the OKRA framework. If you can make this framework available as a jar located at a publicly available URL, then you can simply specify it as a library dependency for the projects that need it (just like we specify the JUNIT library) in mx/projects. This way, the library will be pulled down and cached locally on demand for running the tests.

In terms of the remaining code, we would like to receive and maintain the Graal HSAIL backend (plus tests) in the Graal repository which only contains JDK7 code and is only tested in a JDK7 environment.

For the JDK8 changes, we propose that they remain in a Sumatra downstream repository. This would include the HotSpot code to do the optional interception on the Streams API.

If this proposal is not acceptable, we're open to further discussion. If it is acceptable, could you please create a JDK7 compliant patch that has the Graal HSAIL backend, the tests for those changes and a dependency on OKRA as an external jar library.

-Doug