Upcoming GPU backend changes

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Fri Jan 31 16:49:13 PST 2014

On Feb 1, 2014, at 1:11 AM, Deneau, Tom <tom.deneau at amd.com> wrote:

> Doug, Gilles --
>
> I thought I had finished the merging with  your new changes but now realize
> that I have skipped over the installCode0 part that we had in our private deopt branch
> here (for which I have been giving Gilles various webrevs).
>
> This allowed the GPU to use its own deriviation of CodeInstaller with its own
> get_scope_value methods.
>

> Before this latest merge, we were calling gpu::install_code from C2V_VMENTRY(installKernel0),
> which was called from CompilerToGPUImpl.installKernel and then gpu::install_code split off
> to either PTX or HSAIL::install_code.
>
> How should this logic get in in the new framework?  Should HSAILHotSpotBackend just do its own
> InstallKernel implementation which will basically copy the logic for addExternalMethod
> but then call some hsail_specific version of installCode0 in the VM?

Yes. All (two) GPU backends should have their own installCode0 native equivalents that are called directly. At some point we should create a GPUHotSpotBackend abstract class for commoning out code shared between PTXHotSpotBackend and HsailHotSpotBackend but it’s ok for them both to have their own code paths for now until we know how much commonality there is.

-Doug