Graal compilation error: no FrameState at DeoptimizingNode

Stefan Marr java at stefan-marr.de
Fri Jun 6 15:36:04 UTC 2014

Dear all:

After updating to the latest version of Graal, I am seeing errors of the following kind:

Starting DeltaBlue benchmark ...
[truffle] opt fail         Method Variable>>#addConstraint::/home/smarr/.local/SOM/Examples/Benchmarks/DeltaBlue/Variable.som:32 at 66ebbd7b|Reason failed guarantee: no FrameState at DeoptimizingNode 3223|Deopt
com.oracle.graal.compiler.common.GraalInternalError: failed guarantee: no FrameState at DeoptimizingNode 3223|Deopt
	at com.oracle.graal.compiler.common.GraalInternalError.guarantee(GraalInternalError.java:64)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.common.FrameStateAssignmentPhase$FrameStateAssignmentClosure.processNode(FrameStateAssignmentPhase.java:57)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.common.FrameStateAssignmentPhase$FrameStateAssignmentClosure.processNode(FrameStateAssignmentPhase.java:49)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.graph.ReentrantNodeIterator.apply(ReentrantNodeIterator.java:110)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.graph.ReentrantNodeIterator.apply(ReentrantNodeIterator.java:87)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.common.FrameStateAssignmentPhase.run(FrameStateAssignmentPhase.java:110)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.Phase.run(Phase.java:51)
	at com.oracle.graal.phases.BasePhase.apply(BasePhase.java:97)
[...]

Inspecting the corresponding graphs didn’t reveal much that helps me further, unfortunately.
The only thing I saw was that the relevant node at least in one method was very early in the method on an untaken branch.

To reproduce:

```
git clone --recursive https://github.com/SOM-st/TruffleSOM.git
cd TruffleSOM
ant
GRAAL_HOME=../graal ./graal.sh -cp Smalltalk:Examples/Benchmarks/DeltaBlue Examples/Benchmarks/BenchmarkHarness.som DeltaBlue 100 0 10000
```

Any hints on what the cause could be would be very welcome.

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr