overflows in SLDivNode

Andreas Woess andreas.woess at oracle.com
Tue Apr 28 09:16:47 UTC 2015

Correct, the idiv instruction has to be guarded by a test on the divisor
being 0 or -1 in case an overflow occurred previously (or always). [1]
Given that, we could indeed have a divideExact that throws on /0 and
MIN_VALUE/-1 and intrinsify it to an idiv without any tests. This method
would always deoptimize the caller on overflow and the Truffle language
implementer have to rewrite the div node on ArithmeticException to a
version not using divideExact (to prevent endless deoptimizations).

One minor problem I see with having such a divideExact method is the
meaning of the word exact: One could, by the name, expect it to throw
when the remainder is non-zero, i.e. the result is truncated and thus
not "exact". But I might be nitpicking here...

[1] It looks like Graal does not do this yet. But let me double-check.

- andreas