Can we get the IDE for free, too? What do we need for full IDE Integration for Truffle Languages?

Jaroslav Tulach jaroslav.tulach at oracle.com
Wed Aug 17 11:02:16 UTC 2016

On středa 10. srpna 2016 13:17:47 CEST Stefan Marr wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I recently experiment with IDE support for my Truffle-based languages, and
> wrote up a few notes on what I see Truffle could do. Long post below.
>
> If you prefer the HTML version, it’s here:
> http://stefan-marr.de/2016/08/can-we-get-the-ide-for-free-too/
>
> Comments welcome.

Nice. What are the next steps? Here are those that I have in mind:

== Implement Language Server Protocol ==

Having a trivial implementation of https://github.com/Microsoft/language-server-protocol/ in graal would be natural start, right? It would give IDEs
something to connect to and display. I know you can get some structural info
about SOM programs that could be used for code completion. Having that working
could inspire other people to join.

== Generate Java API for the Language Server Protocol ==

I could probably generate Java API bindings for the protocol, so we don't have
to write that by hand and update everytime the protocol evolves. There is
[TypeScript to Java transpiler](https://dukescript.com/update/2016/07/01/
transcript-to-java.html) and this could be a nice test.

== Use Language Server Protocol in NetBeans ==

I know guys in NetBeans who work on the editor infrastructure and could call
the protocol and display the necessary information in the IDE.

-jt