ConditionProfile vs. BranchProfile

Raffaello Giulietti raffaello.giulietti at supsi.ch
Tue Jul 5 12:58:24 UTC 2016

Hello,

while I think I understand the usefulness of Truffle's BranchProfile, I
don't get what the point is with ConditionProfile.

I mean, except when the condition profile indicates a zero count on
either the "then" or "else" parts, what is the real value of having such
a profile? The only reason I can figure out is something related to code
layout. I thought, however, that such optimizations were already
addressed by the hardware branch prediction mechanics. Granted, the
latter needs not necessarily be implemented on every CPU out there.

Any explanation is appreciated and welcome.

Greetings
Raffaello