Object Storage Model: has anybody real-world experience?

Stefan Marr java at stefan-marr.de
Wed Mar 16 18:29:35 UTC 2016

Hi Raffaello:

> On 16 Mar 2016, at 19:16, Raffaello Giulietti <raffaello.giulietti at supsi.ch> wrote:
>
> I think I don't get your point: my remembrances are that NS classes are simple triples holding a reference to the superclass, a reference to the enclosing object and a reference to the metadata info (ivars, methods + other ancillary data), all "finals" in Java jargon. Is this what you mean by decoupling identity and structure?

That’s almost what I mean. In my implementation it is essentially a 2-tuple of enclosing object and then a combination of superclass and metadata (called ClassFactory in the implementation). This combination essentially corresponds to a materialization of the concrete class (assuming that your metadata is merely the mixin). I need the combination/materialization to correctly speculate on object structure and method dispatch.

>> Bye the way, are you working on a Truffle language?
>
> Yes, I'm experimenting with Smalltalk in my spare time. However, the environment I’m trying to build is not the classical Smalltalk image model but something more akin to Gemstone, i.e., with a persistence engine built-in and a snapshot isolation model for transactional processing.

Ah nice. Is that by chance something that’s online somewhere?

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr